background

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Funky "Tess Home" Decor.

We all have things that we love and things we love to do! But when it comes to Home Decor, we may tend to be shy when incorporating color, texture, and design! You don't have to be afraid to show a little more "you" in your home and this blog, I hope, will give you some creative insight and ease your mind with branching out in your decor! I feel my home exudes the word "whimsical"; it's an eclectic mix of color, texture, and mixing prints and patterns; it brings forth warmth, relaxation, and personality without being overwhelming and chaotic. 

This post will give you easy how-to's in giving your living space a little more character by using materials you can find in your home and backyard! (Yes, I said backyard) Home Decor that's inexpensive, easy, and self created? What more could you want? So, grab a cup of tea and read on as ideas spark in your head for your very own Whimsical Home Decor Habitat! 


Easy Apron Kitchen Window Treatments:


I love vintage fabrics and linens; they not only look divine, but they have a bit of history woven into them. 


Mosaic "Vintage China" Countertop:

This little corner cabinet was built into my kitchen to house the dishwasher. Wanting to do something really special on the top, I called on an acquaintance, local artist, Jackie Chesley (based in Asbury Park, NJ). She did an amazing job on the mosaic work here with vintage china!! I could look at it ALL day!!
Here, I have fashioned vintage aprons into valances and used inexpensive store bought tiers with them. (Make sure to iron the aprons with plenty of starch.) I used tension rods (which you can find at any store-cheapest ones I've found are at KMart for around $3) to hang them. Easy-Peasey! Lastly, just open the ends of the waistband and slide the rod right on through! Tie the apron strings into bows and VOILA!! Now remember, go a little out of your comfort zone, try and get fabric with different patterns but somewhat in the same color scheme. You can do it, I have faith in you! 


Captivating Beaded Custom Lampshades:


Are you always looking for the "perfect" lampshade? Something with a little more personality than the average mundane white pleated staple? I know I have. Well, with some vintage fabric, beads, ribbon or whatever your  little creative heart desires, you have the working materials to create your own lampshade, just like I have! I have to admit, I have a bit of a lighting fetish =) I humbly admit this, especially, when it comes to vintage lighting! Being an up-cycling/recycling girl, I love to buy "collections" (i.e. fabrics, beads, buttons, and ribbon) of things...my mind says, "They want to be made into something!". If you're part of this up-cycling tribe, you know what I'm talking about! Hehe. So, without further ado, here are some of by "beaded brain lampshade creations"! 




Beautiful Branches:


So, ok, yes I am the nut who's blocking the road with my truck to pick up a giant branch off of the road! Guilty as charged! But you don't have to be AS dedicated as I am when searching and salvaging materials from Mother Nature! It's as easy as walking out of your back door and seeing what you have that you've always over looked or raked away. Of course I incorporate nature in my decor as should you, if you haven't already. It's a great balance of man-made materials with Mother Nature's gifts! These beauties featured in the photos are called "Contorta" or "Harry Lauder's Walking Stick", I grow these in my back yard and they're perfect for bordering doorways or 
simply placing a couple into an elongated vase! 



The Beaded Brian Window Treatment:

Revisiting the bead "thing" I scored huge on a vintage bead lot at an auction a few years ago; hence the: "Beady Brain" title I have dubbed myself. Ha! This window treatment I strung beads on very fine wire (another easy and inexpensive find at any retailer), then attached the strands onto tension rod (remember those from the lampshade?) and then to hide all the tied wire at the top I wrapped a vintage scarf around it! On either side of the window I had shutters made to accent the colorful beaded window! I "lovey" the look of this little staircase window =) So inviting and when the natural light hits it perfectly, an array of colors dance around my living room and gives off such warmth.



I hope this blog has inspired you to get a little brave the next time you decide to spice up your home decor! Use these innovative, yet basic ideas to make your own creations! Think outside of the box. Not a fan of beading? Try buttons, wine corks, mini fabric bows...anything that has a little "you" in it. 

Until next time, have a whimsical day...

~TESS 





3 comments:

  1. Great ideas! Keep posting, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun to get new ideas for spooky Cheap Home Decor. I love to decorate for sweet home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chinese curios are definitely special; they add an ethnic ambiance to the room and make it look even more vibrant.

    ReplyDelete